Burning feet syndrome, also known as Grierson or Gopalan syndrome. It is a burning sensation in feet. It may be caused by nerve damage in the legs, also called neuropathy in which the feet often become uncomfortable, hot and painful. The burning sensation may become more intense at night. The heat and pain can be limited to the soles of the feet, but also might affect the tops of the feet, ankles, and even the lower legs.
Most common cause of burning feet syndrome is neuropathy burning feet. In most people with neuropathy, the leg nerves become damaged first. These people often have tingling and numbness in the feet. Many people complain that their feet are overly sensitive to touch (hyperesthesia) and can have varying degrees of burning pain. The following reason may be responsible for this problem
1. Vitamin deficiency (vitamin B12, folate, and occasionally vitamin B6)
2. Chronic kidney disease (uremia)
3. Small fiber neuropathy
5. Over doses of vitamin B6, HIV medicines, Side effects of certain medicines like amiodarone, isoniazid, metformin ect.
6. Heavy metal poisoning (lead, mercury, arsenic)
7. Vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels)
8. Alcohol abuse
9. Low thyroid hormone levels (hypothyroidism)
10. Amyloid polyneuropathy
The most common symptoms include:
• Sensations of heat or burning, often worsening at night
• Skin redness or excess warmth
• Prickling or tingling or a feeling of “pins and needles”
• Numbness in the feet or legs
• Sharp or stabbing pain
• Feeling of heaviness in the feet
• Dull ache in the feet
• Electromyography (EMG): It is a test for checking the muscle functioning by using recordings of electrical activity inside the muscles. In this test a probe may be placed on the skin, or a needle may be inserted into the muscle, for an EMG test.
• Nerve conduction study: In this test the nerve ability is checked to transmit impulses. A nerve is stimulated, and the response in the muscle controlled by that nerve is measured.
• Laboratory tests: Laboratory tests of blood, urine, or spinal fluid are analyzeds to diagnose the cause of burning feet. Vitamin levels can be checked with a simple blood test.